Cox Green is lucky to have a full time Careers Guidance Officer in school. This allows for bespoke, individualised careers provision and access from Y7 all the way through until a student is making decisions about their lives after school.
Cox Green Values
- Be Respectful – Respect for ourselves and those around us
- Be Kind – Supporting one another and being considerate of others.
- Be Determined – Showing a willingness to improve and better ourselves.
Cox Green Careers Vision
The Cox Green Careers’ Programme strives to provide students current and relevant market place information, advice and guidance to inspire students to realise their ambitions by making the right informed decisions about their next steps. We provide an environment that is supportive to ensure that our students acquire the life skills and qualifications to become successful, well rounded citizens.
We achieve this by putting our values at the heart of our careers’ provision and provide a bespoke, robust, dynamic and creative programme for every individual. Through utilising current LMI information, Unifrog, a wide range of local, national and international resources and ensuring that careers is explicitly embedded within the whole school curriculum we ensure that students are equipped with the skills, knowledge and understanding they need to fulfil their full potential.
The intent of the Cox Green Careers’ Programme is to provide students with the following:
- Current and relevant market place information for academic, vocational courses as well as employment and the world of work.
- Advice and guidance to inspire students to realise their ambitions.
- Providing timely and tailored information so that students can take decisions about their next steps.
- Supporting parents and staff to enable students in their next steps.
- Working with a wide network to provide access to a range of information and experiences.
Cox Green implements this by having:
- Our in-school Careers Guidance Officer, Hannah Thompson. This allows support with university applications, personal statements, apprenticeships, writing CV’s and interview skills.
- One to one careers meetings for every student at least once a year. This increases from Y9 when the Options process happens through to when students leave.
- A careers presence at school events.
- Opportunities for parents to engage with the Careers Guidance Officer. Appointments can be made after school should it be helpful.
- The careers office is in the main school and has an open-door policy.
- An extensive collection of university and college prospectuses are available for students.
- The wider pastoral system which is supported by Mrs Thompson, especially the PD programme which has careers explicitly in it for every year group.
- Various events during the year. These include a “Careers Insight”, careers fair, the You’re Hired event and a range of speakers.
- Academic subjects also promote careers within their subject areas as appropriate.
- Use of a wide range of resources including LMI Information, Unifrog (supporting UCAS and vocational and employment post-16/post-18 steps)
- The Gatsby Benchmarks as our framework to ensure the best careers provision for our students.
- All Y12 students being connected to Linked In to aid their futures and to build a network of Cox Green students to support each other and the school in the future.
The Gatsby Benchmarks are a framework of 8 guidelines that define the best careers provisions in secondary schools. Cox Green School is committed to meeting all of the Gatsby Benchmarks and work in collaboration with the Careers Enterprise Company, TVLEP, external providers and our Enterprise Advisor from 3.
Cox Green has impact of the futures of our students through our careers education. We know this by:
- NEETS review annually
- Regular surveys of all those involved in careers
- Regular broader student surveys that look at preparation for the wider world and life beyond school
- Annual review of the careers programme and wider curriculum for careers content.
Cox Green is very fortunate to have a full time Careers Advisor. Every student in the school, each year, is invited to a careers and guidance meeting.
Mrs Thompson is our full time Careers Advisor. The careers office is located in main school and has an open door policy. Students are free to make an appointment or drop in during break times, or after school with general queries. An extensive collection of university and college prospectuses are available for students. Mrs Thompson attends school events and parent evenings. Should parents wish to speak with her, appointments can also be made after school. Mrs Thompson can support with university applications, personal statements, apprenticeships, writing CV’s and interview skills. "Careers Insight" and “You’re Hired" events have proved extremely popular, providing students with a valuable understanding of the world of work.
For further information please also refer to our Provider Access Policy under our policies section of the website. Mrs Thompson can be contacted on email via
|Unifrog brings all the available information into one comprehensive, user friendly platform that helps students to make the best choices, and submit the strongest applications. Unifrog partners with Universities and Employers to further support students to be successful. Unifrog also has a range of resources for teachers to use within their curriculum, linking careers to subjects.|
|Here at Cox Green we are keen to get in touch with alumni, any past students please head to our LinkedIn page Cox Green Connect and keep in touch with all Cox Green.|
Our on-site careers advisor would really like to hear from local employers, who would like to get involved with our work experience programme for Year 10 & 12 or another career event such as our Year 11 mock interview day ‘You’re Hired’. If you are an employer, alumni or current parents at Cox Green and would like to get involve in future career events or work experience please contact Mrs H Thompson