- Mr E Lynch - Head of English
- Ms S Gallagher – Head of Key Stage 3
- Ms J Leary – Head of Key Stage 4 and Key Stage 5
- Ms M Burke - Teacher of English, Assistant Headteacher
- Mr G Hart - Teacher of English
- Ms J Cummings – Teacher of English
- Ms C Morgan- Russell - Teacher of English, Deputy Headteacher
- Ms U Ejike - Teacher of English
- Ms M Manabat – Teacher of English
While the CGS English curriculum prepares students for the demands of GCSE, A Level and beyond, it also enhances and moves beyond examinations by ensuring our learners are:
- Sensitive to the moral, spiritual, and emotional experiences prompted by the subject.
- Focussed and nuanced communicators in spoken and written word.
- Inspired to explore complex ideas and material.
- Resilient and engaged, taking ownership of their learning prepared to face challenges that lie ahead.
- Imaginative and reflective as well as confident and secure in their thoughts and opinions.
- Able to express themselves effectively and articulately.
Throughout their time at Cox Green School, English lessons and activities will have:
- Pace and personal challenge.
- Opportunity for students to develop confidence in speaking in front of others.
- Space for students to express their ideas independently as well as collaboratively.
- Opportunity to expand and elevate vocabulary.
- Enriching and engaging content endowing students with key life skills of effective communication and literacy.
In line with the National Curriculum of 2014, the curriculum at Cox Green School will therefore:
- Help students develop a love of literature by encouraging them to read widely and independently
- Enable students to express themselves confidently and creatively using rich and diverse language
- Develop reading skills to examine literature from multiple eras, cultures, and genres with critical understanding
- Improve research skills to enable them to expand, from a variety of perspectives, their own readings of literature and understanding of language
- Encourage students to become successful learners and responsible citizens
Our whole curriculum is shaped by our school vision, which aims to enable all children, regardless of background, ability, additional needs, to flourish to become the very best version of themselves they can possibly be. Our curriculum ensures that skills and knowledge are built on year by year and sequenced appropriately to maximise learning for all children supported by a clear skills and knowledge progression.
Outcomes in tests and classwork exercise books, evidence a broad and balanced English curriculum and demonstrate the children’s acquisition of identified key knowledge.
Students review the agreed successes at the end of every term and are actively encouraged to engage and identify their own target areas, with support from their teachers.
Skills are built through a variety of teaching styles and techniques to allow students to develop as independent and actively curious lifetime learners. Through their understanding of literature, learners leave CGS with a knowledge of the wider world and how actions impact on the lives of others. They can see the relevance of the skills they were taught and know how to use them to their advantage to achieve more than they first thought possible.